Friday, 4 September 2026

The art of agreeing

 Haanji . ( Yes, sir / madam )

This might , on the surface , seem like a polite rejoinder to all statements / expostulations and pronouncement . An innocuous , infectious , perfectly acceptable answer to all theories . 

Only , it isn't .  

It is a weapon . A hiding -in -plain -sight kind . 

In most of North India it carries an undertone of respect bordered with sarcasm . It might mean " F^^^ off " to strangers or "Shut up " to known . pesky elders . People, with adequate EQ , get the inflection . Most don't . One is surprised at the abysmal lack of common sense in the populace one runs into , on a day to day basis .

I recently met a person who breaks into a hive of Haanjis , when she insists that she is very much in agreement with you  . 

"Is tomorrow a holiday ?" 

"Haanji , haanji , haanji , haanji ." She trills .

"Today is cloudy , it looks like it might rain ."

"haanji , haanji , haanji ." In a haste , she drops one of them . 

"Yesterday' s function was fun , wasn't it ? " 

"haanji , haanji , haanji , haanji , haanji ." Thrown one extra for good measure . 

After having several of these homegrown hand grenades of fake agreement thrown at me , I am wary . I go home with a basketful of these everyday , and sort them into , ripe and rotten , unripe and downright empty shells  , bereft of any ammo at all . 

The decoding is as follows 

First haanji is "okay I see you , but I do not care ."

Second Haanji is " stop accosting me , just because I am in the room , I don't wish to talk to you ." 

Third haanji is " I didn't even hear what you just said ." 

Fourth haanji is " Stop wasting my time ." 

Fifth haanji is " Shut up !!" 

In fact , I am so wary of being showered with a deluge of haanjis , if I so much breathe next to her , that I give her a wide berth every time we meet . 

So , yes , every time someone agrees with you , please note intonations , body language and other means of telling you that they are not at all in agreement with you , so please carry your sorry self elsewhere . 


No comments:

Post a Comment